This week, our blog theme is about love and adventure. Since I don’t know what exactly to read, I decided to visit fictionpress.com, where lots of stories can be found. The short story I chose was entitled “Behind the Looks”. It narrates the love-life of Sarah, a studious girl who looks out her room window to secretly stare at Steven, a hot jock. When Joshua, the guy’s best friend, caught Sarah looking through Steven’s window, he begins to talk to her. The next day, Steven argued with his girlfriend and suddenly asked Sarah out. Joshua, on the other hand, was not pleased with his friend’s move since he knows that Steven is just using Sarah because she is “easy”. Sarah, upon knowing the painful reality, decided to give up on Steven. It was not simple for her to forget about her dream boy, but because she discovered a certain side of Steven, she finally found the reason to let go of him. With Joshua’s company, her previous lifestyle of “all books and no play” changed hugely, and since then, she was able to live a fun and happy life.
Though the story seems simple and clichéd, I still find it very appealing. The title, “Behind the Looks” is very appropriate, for the story talks about the inner self. It further explains the saying “there is more than meets the eye”. Sarah, who is supposed to be a “nerd”, surprisingly has a young lady’s heart, a teenage girl who falls in love and longs to have real friends who hangs out with her not just because she is smart. In contrast, Steven is loved by many and is thought highly of. However, not everyone knows about his shocking personality. I personally liked the story because I can somewhat relate to Sarah. If I assess myself, I think that I am also quite more studious than normal students, but I have also a cool and girly side like her. Sarah’s one-sided love is also the same as mine. I have grown up in a life with a series of unrequited loves *laughs*. I just admire from the shadows and do not show it completely. The guy I last admired also has a girlfriend. That is why I understand her feelings about just looking discreetly from her window. When I read that Steven finally asked her out, I was very happy. But, unfortunately, Steven is not the guy she thought he would be. Sarah realized that she deserves a guy who is more caring and better than him. I also liked the fact that the main protagonist is shy like I am. She is just a “normal” student in her school and is not involved in activities that will make her known.
Currently, I am dreaming of a time that my unrequited love will come true at last. But if the guy turns out to be like Steven, then I would without a doubt forget my little crush on him and will just wait for the right time and the right guy.
Camille Valerie S. Torre
C31


No comments:
Post a Comment