
Sorry for the change in tone; I’m not really a Lakers fan (I’m currently a bitter Celtics fan) and therefore won’t be saying anything about their victorious win against Celtics, or Kobe’s award winning fade-away jump shot—or even the way Pau Gasol managed to sink in his free throws, NOPE. Not one word out of it. There are other more important sports than NBA FINALS, definitely more exciting games that the Rondo/Garnett/Pierce/Allen versus Kobe, OTHER games that fell back due to the over-excited fans that littered all possible stores that showed THE GAME.
“Kobe is different, a higher plane of monstrosity that bulldozes everything with skill and… more skill.”
BUT first, a little segment: during the day of game 6, and Celtics lost completely owned by Lakers—I was with my blockmates, earning an earful ‘LAKERS WIN!!!’ and ‘BOSTON DIES!’ cries around me. I have then, just lost a bet with one of my friends (goodbye Php 300, I barely knew you), and gained a couple of hits to the head with our school themed clapper (thank you very much for those, AGNO BABIES >:|). I had seen Lakers win with amazing passing skills, YEAAAAH… pass it to Kobe, he’s going to win it. :| (bitterbitterbitterbitter…)

It’s disturbing for me to think that people are fine with the back to back to back to back win of Lakers—yes, I have to admit when I was a kid I was a Lakers fan. REALLY NOW, come on! I have been expecting them to win from the start, but having the natural tendency to side with the underdog I started to root for Boston Celtics. Which includes studying the statistics, the starting five (yes co-Boston-Fans, Rondo) and of course watching the games. It wasn’t a disappointment seeing their team rise from the slots and into the finals, it was fun—they weren’t much of a loser-loser team, in fact they have quite the powerhouse: having fade-away jumpers like Rondo, Allen and Pierce and an inside rebounder like Garnett, if you look at it… they weren’t much of an underdog. In the end I started to root for them just because I wanted to.
There was a time when the jump-shooters for Celtics were Ray Allen, Paul Pierce. They, when left open is a very dangerous opening. The two could perform like a three-man-team that could shoot accurate points from the 3-point line, it was cool and mouth-gapingly amazing (I found that out after a one-on-one NBA LIVE! Game with my brother at the PS2). Then, some years pass and the line-up change and Celtics began to rumble from the preliminaries to the semi-finals, eating other teams until they made their way to the top—only to be crushed aside by the purple and gold monster, Kobe. Well I’m not saying hitting a 24 feet jumper to win against Miami wasn’t monstrous, but Kobe is different, a higher plane of monstrosity that bulldozes everything with skill and… more skill. He is just that good, and not that Artest, Odom, Fisher and Gasol aren’t, he was just the one that popped out.
“I don't think Kobe is the best player. I'm the best player. There's a line that separates having confidence and being conceited. I don't cross that line but I have a lot of confidence in myself.” – Paul Pierce, Boston Celtics.
Although Celtics had lost the finals, it took one heck of a team to bring the Lakers crowd to the edge of their seats until the final seconds of the game. There were times when I, myself stopped breathing: every time Allen released a three or Pierce, it just punches air out of me. It was a good
game, a great game, it was everything that basketball lovers would expect: matching out skill with skill, and untamed stamina that reaches for the goal. It was great day for the Los Angeles Lakers, I congratulate them for a well won game, and Boston Celtics for a tough fight.
I started this entry by opposing basketball; I had my reasons—like being bitter and not wanting to talk about my team losing, but in the end. When they talk sports—I think there’s nothing I could say more than: I love this game!
April Santiago
C31/ ENGLCOM
No comments:
Post a Comment