
It’s amazing how a mere collection of smooth, glossy, printed paper could control a person—better yet; a whole community. At the start of the entry, I wrote a common comment going around the lips of naturally ‘in’ people. The fashion world is nasty-comment, after nasty comment—or so those at the end of the nasty-comment would say, but being a person that follows the trends closely, I’ve realized that the ‘in’ crowds don’t just say those ‘nasty’ comments because they want to—they just can’t help themselves. In a world lead by The Word of the recently considered ‘hot designer’, it is inevitable for those into fashion to not be so meticulous about the world around them. But of course it is unfair to see this as the only down side of the problem; the eyes to which those who don’t care about the latest fads have to be heard as well. I, myself don’t really give a second thought to what I wear before, and when I view those that would constantly watch the Lifestyle Network and subscribe to the Preview magazine as zombies. ‘Have they no consideration for comfort?’ I had thought then. Back then I had the notion that being in-style means to be in-uncomfortable clothing. I had thought that watching eagerly at the appearing fads is something only a ‘no-brainer’ could do, but after picking one (magazine) up and reading through it, I found out that being in-style does have its perks. Having the proper outfit at some events would score you credibility points, and being conscious about the way you dress means having others stop being conscious about it.

ELLE magazine had broken one of the most scared rules of the fashion industry and that was ‘Size Matters’. In a new issue they had proposed to use plus size women at the cover front of their new release. Things like this, had earned an earful applause from the stands and other enthusiasts, and I say why not? Fashion is for everyone—no matter the size, as long as they use the basics of mix’n’match, walk with confidence and strut their stuff, people would realize that definitely ‘size’ is just a fallacy in fashion. Plus or not, everyone can afford to look great and feel great.
"Fashion lapses, but Style is eternal" - Nina Garcia
FASHION! (It’s effect to society can only be written in capitalized letters and an exclamation point) It’s a blind spot and a source of power at the same time. Those that could manipulate and stick with the trends would benefit a lot from it. It does not imply that being ‘in the trends’ would automatically sell your soul to the mindless world of simply following trends, because a) everyone has their own fashion to follow and b) being updated with the trends brings along a lot of positive effects. Learning ‘How to’s, and ‘What goes together’ can also be taken as a suggestion—not an absolute order—some people would take it, piece it together, and make it their own. Fashion is merely an ingredient of a person’s expression of self, and once it’s use to its fullest capabilities and mixed with the personality of the dresser then it becomes Style.
Watch the change, and see how manipulating trends can move to your advantage!
April Santiago, C31- ENGLCOM
Source: McVeigh, Tracy. " Elle magazine breaks fashion's last taboo: plus-size models on the cover | Life and style | The Observer ." Latest news, comment and reviews from the Guardian | guardian.co.uk . N.p., n.d. Web. 4 June 2010.
No comments:
Post a Comment