Saturday, July 24, 2010

Suffering in Accounting

               Surviving accounting is not an easy task. You will need determination, strong will and skill. To survive, you must also be ready of what you will face. And to be prepared, you must know and learn how studying accounting in De La Salle University is like. One of the things that make it hard to study accounting in De La Salle is the unbelievably high passing grade of 83% that has caused a lot of misfortune on accountancy students.



~~~~~~~Effects of accounting~~~~~~

               During my first days as an accountancy major froshie, I view accounting as just one of the normal courses in De La Salle. I even tried out for the pep squad and eventually passed the try outs knowing that I can balance my time between studies and pep. But as I ventured out around De La Salle campus, I have realized the tribulation accountancy brings to students. Numerous students and even professors told our block, “Weh accounting kayo?! haha!!” and even “Ay, accounting ako… DATI!”. Those were the painstaking words that stroke us. Most of all, when they ask who’s our professor and then we answer “Ms. Velasco po.”, their reaction was like “GOSH! Velasco baby kayo? GOODLUCK!”. By that time, we were all aware that our life is at risk, seriously. J Well although we were threatened that our professor is Ms. Velasco, some say that we are still lucky because we have the benefit of gaining more knowledge in accounting than other BSA students.


               Many accountancy majors students in the upperclassmen have shared their pains and hardships in BSA. Because of the degree of difficulty, they had to give up their social life. Because of this, I doubted of quiting in the pep squad because I can hardly manage my time. Our class is dismissed at 6:00 pm and immediately goes to training because our training starts at the same time. Exhausted and sleepy, I arrive home at 12 midnight and wakes up at 6:00 am to catch up with my 8:00 am class. Because of the traffic, oftentimes I arrive late in class. I know, it sounds unrealistic right?

               As long as I am in the major program, accountancy will serve as a threat to my life in DLSU. Why? its simple. Accountancy is like a hard-to-get person. If I don’t give time to accounting, I will fail.  As long as I’m staying in the program, my mind shall be filled with worries and I will rarely have the peace of mind that “I will pass accounting”. The despairing fact is, I have already established my dedication and passion for BSA, to the extent that I sacrificed to loose my cheerleading career and time for my family and friends. 
I love accounting, But why can’t the BSA program love me? L



               I’m still starting my Accountancy life and as early as now, is experiencing a lot of trouble coping up with the basic accounting lessons. This made me realize how ignorant and weak I am. But I choose not to quit, for failing is part of success. I am now willing to take chances and sacrifices just to pass accounting. I am now ready to give up my social life, my interests, my luxury time and even my time for myself. I prefer to make sacrifices and suffer during college life so that I can have a life of lavishness after I graduate than to have a lax life in college and then having trouble after graduation because I can’t find any employment. I’m doing this for my future. J


              This program has become the subject of fear and at times, contempt for students. What several students fail to recognize, however, is that the brainchild of the Accountancy Department they are experiencing is the best so far. And like what our dear Ms. Velasco has said and inspired us….

             “Accountancy is not a race, it does not matter who gets first, what matter is you get to the finish line.”


Melissa Angelyn R. Pascual
ENGLCOM C31
Proud BSA student!:)

1 comment: